Saturday, May 05, 2007

I Really Need to Leave Here

I wrote this in a comment on someone else's blog last week, but I'll note it again because it ran through my mind as I took the family out to lunch and ran an errand.

I have long expressed exasperation that almost all of the jobs in my field of work in this metro area are on the other side of the city, some 25 miles away. Getting there by car requires passing through two or three traffic jam bottlenecks that can eat up 40 minutes to an hour each way, and to use the city bus system would requires over 2 hours of commuting time each way.

The overwhelming majority of commercial activity on this side of town falls into three categories, restaurants, retail, and hospitals. If there was a motto for this area, it would certainly be "Eat, shop, and die."
blog comments powered by Disqus