Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Feedback, Seymour, Feedback!

Now if you're feelin' kinda low bout the dues you've been paying
Future's coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'
Cant decide on which way to go
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

-- Boston, "Peace of Mind", Boston

Time for another update on the job search, as moribund as it has been of late...

Last week Wednesday, I wound up turning down an offer from the Amazing Music Floating Price Machine Co. The pay was attractive, but I just couldn't see myself stomaching another job at a company where my code winds up never being used by a customer. Later in the week, I got a call from someone else at the company wishing to speak with me to encourage me to reconsider. I returned his call, but he's out of town until Wednesday. If they're still wanting to make their case, I'll hear them out, but they've got a very high bar to clear.

Also on Wednesday, I had a conversation with the hiring manager at Susie Student Loan Co. regarding feedback from my interview on the prior Friday. He said that they definitely wanted to bring me in for the second round half-day interview, but they were hamstrung by a bureaucratic budgeting snag. He said they hoped to have it cleared up by the next week. Sure enough, I got a call this morning asking what times would work best for me. I gave him the dates, and he's going to get back with me once he's coordinated with the many people who will be participating.

No word from Safe-T-Call on the contract position. I talked to the recruiter a week ago, and he said that he had yet to hear from them but expected to hear something before the end of the week. After hearing nothing last week, I e-mailed him today to see what's going on. I am not really impressed by them because when I did the interview, they were emphasizing how important and how time sensitive this project was... on the order of a couple months, and they've burned over two weeks trying to make a hiring decision.

The job boards have been lacking good leads of late, but I haven't watched them too closely.
blog comments powered by Disqus